Friday, April 29, 2011

Step 2: The Consultation

This is what you do when you're considering an artist or you've already decided who you want to go. You get to meet the artist! How exciting, no pressure but it is like a first date. This is the first time you're meeting someone who may or may not be giving you something permanent that will be on your body for the rest of your life. Be warned, I overthink things on a regular basis but it is a big deal. If they're an asshole, feel free to walk out. You want to feel comfortable with the person. You don't want to worry about feeling judged or have them put you down. Even if they are the most talented artist you've found and they're a complete turd and put down your idea you don't want them to tattoo you and they don't want your business. There are way too many nice people who want your business to go to someone who is rude.

The first time I ever walked into a shop to get my first tattoo, the script "Not all who wander are lost." On my chest, the artist said that he could not do it the way I wanted it and he could do it with huge letters going across my whole chest. So I took my business elsewhere to someone who could do what I wanted. Now I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

I did learn a lot. I learned to stick to what I believe in, and accept constructive criticism when it is constructive. This artist was not constructive and made me feel like an idiot. Now when I go into shops, I always bring a lot of refernces, try to be as clear as possible, and straight forward. However, you have to remember that this is their profession and they probably have the best advice on what looks good on skin. They will offer advice, but they shouldn't tell you what to get where, unless you tell them to do whatever they want wherever they want.

Some keys things to ask them about are:

Pricing. You will be seriously screwed if you set up the appointment, get the tattoo, and then you can't afford it. They will be able to give you a price range or an hourly rate. This is the most important question to ask, in my opinion. Prepare to bring more than they say just so you can have plenty of money to tip too.

How long it will take. I usually try to leave the whole day open but if there are other things planned I suggest going after whatever you already have planned. You will be a strange mixture of sore and exhausted but also excited. This is another incredibly good question.

How many friends. I usually either bring one or none to the actual appointment, but I have a couple and usually feel really comfortable. I take someone to the consultation to help me decide if I really want to go to that artist for that tattoo.

What to wear. I suggest being comfortable, but it depends on what you're getting and what time of year. Don't wear anything tight cause you'll be uncomfortable.

What to do and what not to do before the day of the appointment. In posts soon to come, I will offer my advice but I am not a professional artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment